Culture of Readers Journey November

After making our writeup with analysis from data collection tools, we moved on to creating infographics to visually display our problem and the steps we took to collect data.  Making an infographic was very challenging because of all the time and testing it took. You have to catch the eye of your audience while still maintaining an appropriate graphic.  One of my group’s struggles was finding the right background color to go with our topic. After many tests, we decided on gold, silver, black, and white. My group is doing the mock Newbery award, so we thought gold might go well because most book awards, including the Newbery, are gold.  To catch our audience’s eye, we had to create a graphic made of icons. It needed to summarize our problem and hook the reader in to read more. We really struggled with the graphics. We wanted to do something with students being excited about new books, but it ended up having too much going on and was way too complicated.  I consulted with my sister and we decided to put in three books with awards on them to symbolize new books getting awards. It was hard, because we wanted to tell a story, but also convey a message of the problem. The rest of my group thought it was great, and after that, we just made small changes. In infographics, there are things called blocks.  Each block represents something different, whether it’s a different theme, topic, or idea. Our infographics are made up of five blocks. The first block was our title, names, graphic to tell a story, and intro paragraph. For this one, layout is key. You need to make it easy for the reader to understand what your problem is, and they have to be able to move right on down to your intro paragraph.  Then come the three analysis paragraphs. In these, we needed to include the paragraph from our writeup, a graph/chart to visually show our data, and some kind of icon. This icon shows that it’s the official end of the analysis block and the reader will be moving on to a new one. After the three analysis paragraphs, a conclusion is needed. This last block consists of our conclusion write up paragraph and an icon to show the end of the infographic.  After that, you just tweak small changes to make it appealing to the audience. In December, we will be finished with our infographics and on to determining and working on the solution.

0 comments